To celebrate National Pi Day, what’s more appropriate then making a Malted Chocolate Pie? Famous Foodies has a recipe from the Tommy Bahama restaurant in New York City. The decadent pie includes a Chocolate Cookie Crust, Mocha Mousse, and English Toffee Crumble and it’s insanely delicious!
MALTED CHOCOLATE PIE
YIELD: Four 8 oz Pies
4 1⁄2” Spring Form Pans
• 2 2/3 Cups Crushed Oreo Cookies (about 25 cookies)
• 1/3 Cup Melted Butter approx. 120 degrees
• 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
1. Place cookies in a food processor and puree until cookie consistency is like course sand.
2. Add melted butter and sugar
3. Spray spring form pans thoroughly with cooking spray then place approximately 1/3 Cup
of cookie crumb mix into each pan. Using your fingers evenly press the cookie mixture into the bottom of pan to form a crust, push into the corners of the pan and work some of the cookies up along the sides
4. Place on flat sheet pan and bake for 5-6 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and cool
CHOCOLATE MALTED PIE FILLING
• 8 Large Egg Yolks
• 2 1/4 Cup Half & Half
• 10 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate (Squares or Chips)
• 1⁄2 Cup Malted Milk Powder
• 1 1⁄4 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1. In large bowl, whisk yolks until blended & set aside
2. In saucepan, bring cream to a gentle boil over low heat and then slowly incorporate chocolate
3. Slowly whisk cream and chocolate into egg yolks, be sure not to “cook” the yolks
4. Return to low heat and stir until thick and smooth, reach a temperature of 170 degrees for a pudding
like consistency DO NOT BOIL
5. Remove from heat and sift in malt powder and whisk till smooth and dissolved.
6. Stir in vanilla
7. Cool for 10 minutes or until 130 degrees and then fill pie shell
8. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to set
MOCHA WHIPPED CREAM
• 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
• 1⁄2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
• 21⁄2 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
• 11⁄2 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
• English Toffee Crumbles
- In large bowl, combine Whipping Cream, Vanilla, Sugar & Cocoa
- Refrigerate for at least 60 minutes. Refrigerate the whisk too!
- Beat continuously until stiff peaks form
- Remove pie from spring form pan
- Pipe rosettes of Mocha Mousse Whipped Cream covering the top surface of the pie
- Sprinkle crushed English Toffee on top of Mocha Mousse Whipped Cream
Post your photos on Instagram and tag @FamousFoodies with the hashtag #FamousFoodies.
Tommy Bahama can be found on Twitter (@TommyBahama), Instagram (@tbahama) and by tagging #TommyBahamaNYC.